Saturday, November 7, 2009

Trying my hand at something new

I know I've made promises to make certain things first. But since I'm the real audience of this blog.. I don't think anyone( I ) will mind if it come back to them and do something else first while I wait here in Moving Limbo.

And with that - Pumpkin Soup.
I made this to have to eat on Halloween before I went out. It wasn't bad. Not the greatest thing I've ever had.. but I've certainly tried worse..

Ingredients:
1.5 cups pumpkin purée
3 cups chicken broth





3/4 cup milk or light cream


for some reason my formatting is being ridiculous here.. and i'm done trying to fix it.
1 tablespoon flour


1/4 teaspoon ginger


1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon minced chives (which i didn't have.. so i just gave it a dash of onion powder)

Everything in the pot:


Aaaand the "Finished" product:


Overall I suppose it was alright.. The snippet in the book about how it tastes better after you let the flavors sit and blend was definitely true.. I enjoyed it significantly more a few hours after it finished than right after it was done.


Though never one to be satisfied.. the next day i tossed in some cinnamon and brown sugar at no real measurement.. and that really bumped the flavor that much more.


I also made some Cinnamon/Orange zest meringues..
dropped one in the bowl of soup for some more flavor/a mock crouton.. Rather enjoyable!

I also took the opportunity to make a loaf of Pumpkin bread with raisins that came out rather perfect.
Needless to say I've had my fill of pumpkin till at least next Halloween..

No comments:

Post a Comment